A mothers love is forever.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Growing up

Today something happened that made me realize just how fast and how much my babies are growing up.

We'll start with Holly. She's been potty trained for over a year... almost a year and a half now. Basically half her life! Well, today after preschool, the girls were playing and I was preparing lunch. I noticed that Holly went into the bathroom. I stayed where I was to see how it would go. She put her toys on the counter, turned the light on, pulled out the small potty seat, putting that on top of the big toilet seat and then hopped on up. She never asked for me. Not once. She's gone in and done this on her own several times but today it hit me. Today it was different. Today I realized, she's sure growing up.

Then not long later, I went upstairs to make a bed before nap time. When I came back down the stairs, I heard something and couldn't place the sound. I found it was running water. This time, it was Hannah. She had been eating a piece of chocolate when I went upstairs. Now, she was in the bathroom, up on the step stool, washing the melted chocolate off her hands. Never asked for me. When I went to check on her, she told me that the chocolate had made a mess and she was just cleaning it up. Wow.


For some reason, it's hitting me lately how very fast this time is going. Maybe it's the talk of pre-kindergarten instead of preschool next year. Maybe its the talk of me going back to work. Either way... my babies are growing up and it's bittersweet for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment