A mothers love is forever.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Busy Season...

Busy. The Christmas season is truly very, very busy. Everywhere you go it seems crazy these days. So much to do, so little time... right? I'm excited about our Christmas for many reasons but two come to my mind very quickly... my girls, Holly & Hannah! They are not quite to the Santa adoring age, but they are excited to talk about him and are going to have fun opening presents I'm sure. I am so anxious to see their reactions to what Santa brings!! We are going to church service early on Christmas eve with my parents and I'm excited to go. Sadly, I avoid church during cold and flu season because it seems people go even when they are sick. I've learned the last two years that EACH time I took my babies to church, they were sick 3 days later. So I haven't been to church much this year and not once during the advent season. I can't wait to sing Christmas hymns and see the advent candle/wreath hanging from our ceiling. I love church during this time... maybe they'll even play the handbells. After church, my mom & dad are coming back to our house & we're going to enjoy some homemade pizza! Mom figured the girls would be happier at home and able to play than out at a restaurant, great idea! Growing up, when my grandpa died, we came up with our own tradition for Christmas Eve and that was to see a movie and go out for Chinese food. Little did I know that many other people also do this. Actually, theaters are packed around this time. I'm guessing with people who don't have family close to celebrate with, or perhaps don't celebrate at all. For me, it's a tradition I've had a very hard time letting go of. Not sure why, but that was a huge highlight in my season! So, then we'll wake up, the girls will open presents and then we'll head to my sisters house for a yummy dinner and a gift exchange! I love spending time with my family, LOVE it!

Two people on my FB recently posted that they couldn't wait for the holidays to be over with. Someone (who I didn't know) on their friends list wrote that if they were saying this then they had forgotten the true meaning of the season. It's not Santa, presents, pizza, movies, chinese food... as you know, it's the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ! I've been teaching the girls that it's almost baby Jesus's birthday and we sing every day to Him. Holly's excited and I'm sure she's expecting cake and candles.

I'm doing my best to remember the true meaning of this busy season. And, more importantly, I'm hoping I pass to my girls the importance of the season.

2 comments:

  1. So true, to teach our children and for us to remember the reason for the season! Each Christmas morning we have muffins and we put a candle in the muffin and sing Happy Birthday to Jesus- the kids LOVE this tradition and I love that they love it and understand what we are celebrating. I hope you all have a Very Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, are you going to make a birthday cake for Jesus? I know many people who do and it sounds like something the girls would enjoy. Just a thought! Merry Christmas - I can't wait to hear/see what Santa brought and all the fun you have during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete